Happy Birthday, PlayStation!
It’s hard to believe that it’s been 15 years since you were born in Japan. You brought us so many good times during your prime. Let us count the games… er, ways:
– You scared the crap out of us with the first Resident Evil.
– You gave us what is perhaps the most beloved RPG of all time in Final Fantasy VII.
– You took jet-skiing to the extreme with Jet Moto.
– You made the idea of a rapping dog seem cool in PaRappa The Rapper.
– You introduced many of us to Lara Croft (and breasts) for the first time.
– You birthed the best racing simulator series ever with Gran Turismo.
– You made Tony Hawk more famous as a video game brand than a regular pro skateboarder.
– You had Rayman before those mischievous bunnies stole his thunder.
– You taught us patience and stealth with Metal Gear Solid.
– You gave us over-the-top vehicular violence with Twisted Metal.
– You made us look up what the hell a (Crash) Bandicoot was.
We probably forgot a few, but forgive us: 15 years is a long time. Your creation eventually led to the best-selling console ever, the PlayStation 2 and later, your Blu-ray-enhanced little bro, the PlayStation 3. And with God of War, Uncharted, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank and so many other great franchises, we’re looking forward to the future of PlayStation.
Thanks for the memories.
More on Time.com: