Finally! Tiger Scouts, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts now have access to the prestigious Video Games Belt Loop and Video Games Academics Pin. Awards for playing video games? Sort of!
To get the belt loop, you must do the following:
1. Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
2. With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
3. Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.
The academics pin is a bit more rigorous:
1. With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.
2. Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.
3. Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.
4. Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.
5. List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.
6. Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.
7. Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.
8. Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty.
9. With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system.
Some of the steps for the Video Games Pin are great basic life skills for anyone to have. Create a plan to buy a video game? Budgeting. Video game tournament? College prep. Install a gaming system? Life of the party, especially when the after-bar is at your house and everyone wants to play Rock Band.
The Video Games Belt Loop looks awesome, by the way. I fully expect it to be available for purchase at Hot Topic in the near future. Remember Hot Topic?