Some days reality is just intolerably repugnant, and there isn’t anything very interesting coming out of MacWorld, so you start looking around for an alternative. A top 10 list of places to look:
1. The Wardrobe, from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. The original, all-time champeen.
2. The Gate of Hell, from Dante’s Inferno. “Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate.”
3. Platform 9 3/4, Harry Potter.
4. Cimmeria, The Odyssey.
5. The Wood Between the Worlds, The Magician’s Nephew. This entry incorporates some attractive accessories, those yellow and green rings.
6. The Tornado, The Wizard of Oz.
7. The Tollbooth, The Phantom Tollbooth. It’s purple!
8. The Subtle Knife, His Dark Materials.
9. The Rabbit Hole, Alice in Wonderland.
10. The King’s Roads, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.
What else? The obelisk from 2001? That thing in Tron? Come on, insane Stargate fans. Show me whatcha got.
Real posting resumes (starts?) tomorrow.